Sunday, August 10, 2014

Zucchini Fritters

For those of you lucky enough to grow zucchini in your garden, I discovered a good recipe for zucchini fritters. This was one posted on someone's FB page, unfortunately I cannot remember who posted the recipe! The link can be found at the end of this post.

Ingredients for zucchini fritters
The recipe only called for a few ingredients: zucchini, feta cheese, garlic, egg, flour, and some spices (I added my Dad's mix as well). The egg is from a vendor at the Farmer's Market - I love the taste of these eggs, much more flavorful than anything you buy at the store. I would love to say that the zucchini is from the garden, but I have had no luck with squash this year. However, there are several vendors at the Farmer's Market who have plenty to sell! I eyeballed the amount of zucchini and grated them into a colander. I added about a teaspoon of salt, mixed well, and let them sweat in the sink for about 10 minutes.

Grating zucchini
Notice the frog sponge holder??


Grated zucchini






Fritter batter












While the zucchini was being salted, I combined the remaining ingredients into a bowl. This included 1/4 cup wheat flower, ~ 1/4 cup feta cheese (I didn't measure this out, just eyeballed it), 4 cloves of minced garlic, 1 egg (bought at the Farmer's Market!), 4 tablespoons of olive oil (added more because the batter wasn't mixing completely), 2 tablespoons of dill, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of Dad's Mix (JGM Mix 4+).


Nate helped out by whisking the fritter batter together and forming the fritters by hand (photographs above). We made about 8 fritters total and placed them on a greased pan and baked for a good 45 minutes or so. The recipe calls for pan frying them, but I was already baking chicken in the oven so we figured it would be OK to bake. They didn't turn out pretty, but they tasted great. If we were to make them again, I would recommend trying to pan fry them to hold the fritter together and using less dill (unless you love the taste of dill, then 2 TB is perfect). This is a nice recipe and you could really do this with any vegetable that can be grated - carrots, peppers, etc. I highly recommend trying it out and changing the spices to what your taste buds will enjoy!

Online recipe:
http://12tomatoes.com/2014/08/vegetarian-recipe-zucchini-fritters.html

No comments:

Post a Comment